Sustainable Sphagnum Moss
At BeadaMoss®, we sustainably micropropagate Sphagnum moss for positive environmental impacts, primarily for peatland restoration, where Sphagnum moss is planted as a natural climate solution.
We are based in the centre of England, and supply UK peatland restoration projects with Sphagnum, and are supplying in Europe too.
For peatland restoration, planting Sphagnum moss is usually a vital component to fully restore a peatbog. Sphagnum restoration helps to convert a damaged peatland back to a carbon sequestering sink, to stop current emissions from damaged sites, and to protect the peatland’s huge existing carbon stores that would otherwise be eventually lost. Sphagnum moss is also important for habitats and biodiversity, and for preventing flooding and wildfires.
Additionally, we are researching the use of our Sphagnum moss as a sustainable peat alternative using Sphagnum Farming methods.
We are also involved in a Carbon Farming project too, as Sphagnum has a huge amount of climate benefits.
In our nursery facility at BeadaMoss®, we are strive to grow our Sphagnum in the most sustainable and green way possible. We have Solar PV panels, renewable heat in the form of Ground Source Heat Pumps, and have heat recirculation systems. We use rainwater collection, and even the greenhouse itself is second-hand. This is in an effort to make sure our efforts are in fact as sustainable as possible.
We have a super friendly team, from our moss rollers to our leadership team. Here are a few of our key staff members:
- Neal Wright – Director, Founder and Head of R&D – micropropagation and Sphagnum expert, leads the research and development for Peatland Restoration and Sphagnum Farming
- Barbara Wright – Director, Founder and Head of Sales – leads sales and deliveries, working closely with customers and delivers projects
- Mick (Michiel) van Hasselt – General Manager – heads up our Sphagnum production team and manages the greenhouse facilities
- Andrew Davidson – Director of Strategic Business Development – heads up our business development and sales team
- Jacqueline Wright – Marketing and Communications Manager – heads up our marketing and communications, e.g. our social media accounts team
- Victoria Woolman – Office and Deliveries Co-ordinator – manages deliveries to customers’ requirements